[Haskell-cafe] deriving

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Mon Apr 7 15:15:13 EDT 2008

Paul,

To answer your second question (which everyone else ignored):

Yes. A different keyword might have been more descriptive, such as
"automatically_deriving_instances_for".

There is always a struggle between concision [1] and descriptiveness in
syntax. With short keywords, you pay up front. With longer keywords,
there's no money down, but you have an endless monthly payment that gets
really tedious after a while.

Dan

[1] Yes, I know that "conciseness" is the much more common and accepted
word for this, but if we can say "precision", "decision", and
"incision", then it seems foolish to not also use "concision". I will
henceforth take on this quixotic quest to promote the use of "concision".