[Haskell-cafe] Re: Shouldn't this loop indefinitely => take (last [0..]) [0..]

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Apr 7 10:49:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:52:51AM -0700, John Meacham wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:45:31AM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> > I wonder about the efficiency of this implementation.  It seems that for
> > most uses the result is that the size of a Nat n is O(n), which means that
> > in practice you probably can't use it for large numbers.
> >
> > e.g. it seems like
> >
> > last [1..n :: Nat]
> >
> > should use O(n) space, where
> >
> > last [1..n :: Integer]
> >
> > should take O(1) space.  And I can't help but imagine that there must be
> > scenarios where the memory use goes from O(N) to O(N^2), which seems pretty
> > drastic.  I imagine this is an inherent cost in the use of lazy numbers?
> > Which is probably why they're not a reasonable default, since poor space
> > use is often far more devastating then simple inefficiency.  And of course
> > it is also not always more efficient than strict numbers.
>
> Oh, yes. I certainly wouldn't recommend them as some sort of default,
> they were sort of a fun project and might come in handy some day.
>
> By efficient, I meant more efficient than the standard lazy number
> formulation of
>
> data Num = Succ Num | Zero
>
> not more efficient than strict types, which it very much is not. :)

Ah, that makes sense.  And yes, they're definitely more efficient than
that.  :) The trouble (I suppose) is that for the common case in which lazy
naturals are called for, which is situations where you compute
(1+1+1+1...+1+0), you can't be more space-efficient than the standard lazy
numbers without losing some of the laziness.  Or at least, I can't see how
you could do so.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics