[Haskell-cafe] Function Precedence

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Wed Apr 2 11:54:13 EDT 2008

On 2 Apr 2008, at 16:30, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>>> While we're at it, what about adding even more classes, like "group"
>>> or "ring"? Algebra in a whole class hierachy. :-)
>>
>> Only ambition required :-).
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Mathematical_prelude_discussion
> --- go nuts.

There is a Math Prelude, but perhaps one can simplify and divide into
parts that refines the current Prelude, and stuff built on top of a
refined Prelude. The problem with the current one is that for example
Num claims (+), insists on Eq and Show, and there is no way to get
rid of those requirements. So inserting some classes, like
AdditiveSemiMonoid would be less ambitious than writing a whole new
algebra oriented Prelude. Perhaps a better chance of success.

   Hans