[Haskell-cafe] Elevator pitch for Haskell.

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 8 14:53:56 EDT 2007

Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> I'd like to add that, until very recently, Haskell wasn't even *trying*
> to be "ready for prime time".  It takes an athlete many years to get
> from the cradle to the finish line, but that's not how we score them!

Ah yes - "avoid success at all costs". Pitty... I really love the
language, and I want to *do* stuff with it.

Still, everybody keeps muttering that "functional is the next big
thing", and Erlang is taking over the world, so many Haskell's day will
come.

(I somewhat fear however that what will *actually* happen is that some
much more ugly language will come along and take all the glory, and
Haskell will be forgetten forever. Much like the way C and Pascal are
both structured languages, Pascal is infinitely superior to C, but
Pascal is an obsolete relic and C refuses to die.)