[Haskell-cafe] Pixel plotter

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 13:58:11 EDT 2007

Andrew said:

> Oh, and the irony of using OpenGL (an API of unimaginable complexity) just to write pixels to the screen. Isn't that kind of like using a thermonuclear device to crack a nut?

Saying that using OpenGL to write pixels to the screen is like using a
thermonuclear device to crack a nut, is like saying that using a
computer to edit files is like using a thermal lance to slice butter.
(Do you like my higher order simile?)

Incidentally, people raytrace with OpenGL all the time via GPGPU:
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Advanced%20Rendering/index.html
I'm looking forward to someone implementing a nice Haskell API to all
that yummy GPGPU stuff, like Python's
http://www.cs.lth.se/home/Calle_Lejdfors/pygpu/ (I've heard
rumours...)
--