[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: binary 0.4: high performance, pure binary parsing and serialisation

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sat Oct 6 17:23:55 EDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 10:16:37PM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
>> *Very* high performance can be expected, with throughput over 1G/sec
>> observed
>> in practice (good enough for most networking scenarios, we suspect).
>>

> Um... I wasn't aware that there was any harddrive or networking technology
> that goes this fast?
>
> Anyway, I'll have to take a look at the package and see if I can figure out
> how to work it. It is likely to prove quite useful...

It's what we call "ironic understatement", I suspect.

Anyways, a single-mode optical fiber (as thin as a human hair), can
transmit data at around 1,000,000 Gbit/s.  Good luck finding a
sufficiently advanced line driver; the last time I ran the Linux
configuation program, it prompted up to 10,000 Mbit/s, so we're probably
at least that far...

Stefan