[Haskell-cafe] Ray tracer benchmark: GHC 6.6 vs 6.8

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Tue Nov 13 07:31:12 EST 2007

Following Lennart Augustsson's improvements of the Haskell implementations of
my ray tracer language comparison:

http://augustss.blogspot.com/2007/11/benchmarking-ray-tracing-haskell-vs.html

I thought I'd share the performance improvements offered by Lennart's new code
with the latest release of GHC. Time in seconds to run the five versions on
my Athlon64 X2 2.2GHz running 64-bit Debian Lenny:

ghc-6.6.1
22.0715339184
16.5431628227
13.3524830341
11.1260569096
6.33169198036

ghc-6.8.1
16.654654026
12.3998670578
7.8039829731
7.31486296654
6.03285193443

So 6.8 is up to a third faster!

The fastest implementations in other language run at around 4s, so Haskell has
gone from being 3x slower in the previous implementations with GHC 6.6 to
only 50% slower with the new implementations and new GHC.