[Haskell-cafe] Editor

Leif Frenzel himself at leiffrenzel.de
Mon May 21 10:44:22 EDT 2007

Bayley, Alistair wrote:
>> 1.	A real GUI
>> 2.	Good quality syntax highlighting for Haskell..., plus:
>> 	3.	raw Haskell both forms of Literate Haskell;
>> 	4.	properly highlight Haddock comments;
>> 	5.	highlight functions and types from libraries differently
> from local
>> 3.	Line folding to hide and show blocks of code.
>> 4.	Code completion
>> 5.	Easy, quick access to online documentation
>> 6.	access to external utilities for compilation, debugging,
> profiling, type inference,
>> project management, etc.
>> 7.	A good plug-in system
>
> Having dismissed Visual Haskell for being Windows-only, have you
> considered EclipseFP? It doesn't tick all of your boxes, but maybe it
> goes far enough in the right direction. AFAICT it fulfills 1, 2.3, 2.5
> (but I'm not sure about this), 3, 6, and 7 (ish - plugins would be
> written in Java).
There is also some experimentation under way to implement plugins in
Haskell: http://leiffrenzel.de/eclipse/cohatoe/ The Haskell code is
plugged into Eclipse via hs-plugins. However, the ultimate entry point
to the IDE is still Eclipse's, so there will be some Java/XML
boilerplate necessary for getting a plugin hooked.

Thanks && ciao,
Leif