[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and SSL

Thomas David Baker bakert at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 04:22:07 EDT 2007

I'm writing an application that scrapes some data from some websites.  I was
using Network.Browser from http://haskell.org/http/.  So far, so good.
However, now I need to scrape some websites that use SSL.
Network.Browserdoesn't seem to support this (although for some reason
it does work on one
of the sites so maybe I'm getting this wrong).  Someone on #haskell pointed
me at hsgnutls which is an wrapper for parts of GNU TLS.  But I actually had
more success writing a wrapper around wget.  I know that darcs uses curl in
a similar way for some stuff but it still feels like I'm doing the Wrong
Thing.  Does anyone know of a Haskell library that does support scraping SSL
enabled web pages?  Or would adding it to Network.Browser be terribly
difficult?  Looking at GNU TLS it looks more complicated than I imagined.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom