[Haskell-cafe] IDE?

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 18 20:20:48 EDT 2007

>  Exhibit A: Package managers exist. Exhibit B: Autoconf exists.
>  I rest my case.

no. install the latest copy of ubuntu. look for the autotools. not
there? thats right. somehow debian/unbuntu and derived distros are
capable of installing tens of thousands of packages without nary a
compiler installed.

>  An operating system should have a simple, clear, consistent design. Not
>  unlike a certain programming language named after a dead
>  mathematition

unix is indeed largely consistent as originally conceived and executed
through most of its history. simple small tools. everything is a
file. ascii config files.

>  Still, I don't have the skill to write a functioning operating
>  system

writing an operating system in haskell would solve absolutely
nothing. in the end the userland is still a much larger portion of the
codebase, or should we rewrite all of that too?