[Haskell-cafe] [meta] the haskell wiki management

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:14:59 EDT 2007

Hi Andrea,

> I though that using the Haskell wiki was appropriate, so I started
> writing down what I learned thanks to those guys.

It is certainly a good place to put it!

> Then suddenly, Sunday night, I could not find my page anymore.

On renaming a page, doesn't a redirect get placed from the old page to
the new page? If so, that should allow anyone with the old URL to get
automatically redirected to the new URL. If not, then that is a
technical measure we can take to address the problem of pages moving.

> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/HaskellWiki:Guidelines
>
> A rule that reads: "Titles should use sentence-style capitalization
> (see [1] - wikipedia). Capitalizing more words seems to be only
> appropriate in larger documents like books."

It is useful to have the wiki be consistent, so that pages have a
similar style. As an English/British person, that rule seems entirely
wrong with respect to what I know about titles - but its a price you
pay for consistency.

> You know, changing a wiki page title means breaking all links to that
> page from other sites. So, changing an old page title, means taking
> that page off the Net.

Not if the redirect is done, certainly wikipedia does this.

Clearly something here has violated the "be friendly" policy which I
think is the most important policy that governs all wiki/IRC/mailing
list stuff. If something as simple as a redirect can solve it all,
then great.

Perhaps mailing the person in question directly would be a wise idea?
I hope they were acting in good faith, trying to do what they thought
was best, and the medium of the internet has corrupted what would have
been a perfectly pleasant face-to-face conversation.

Thanks

Neil