[Haskell-cafe] gui libs? no thanks, i'm just browsing.. ;-)

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sat Jul 21 06:41:08 EDT 2007

| abi compatibility would be very nice to have (if the library/binding
| code
| doesn't change, newer ghc major versions should still be able to link
| bindings compiled with older ones). that is only going to become more
| important as fewer libraries are going to be shipped with ghc itself
| now
| (also with dynamically linked libraries).

That is all true.  ABI compatibility would be nice. But I don't see how to combine with GHC's other goals.  Notably, we frequently add new information to interface files, and it would be a major constraint not to be able to do so.

For the present at any rate, ABI incompatibility between major releases seems like the lesser evil.

Simon