[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: Re[4]: In-place modification

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Mon Jul 16 16:32:27 EDT 2007

Hugh Perkins <hughperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Careful. Although writer's solution (the "reference" solution) must run in
> under 1 second in Java, many problems run really close to the 2-second limit
> in practice.  That means if your language is inherently 30% slower, you may
> fail the harder problems.

As I said, in my experience with TopCoder (mainly a couple years ago), I
never ran into a problem with the time limit.  I've run into plenty of
problems where I wasn't able to complete the problems due to time limit
there.  I suspect most others have similar experiences.  If you've
competed and your programs timed out a lot, you're probably better off
with better algorithms than hunting for a faster language.

--
Chris Smith