[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:42:28 EDT 2007

Besides traffic, which is something I'm quite used to (try to read the
Python mailing list), I think dons made a quite good point.

On 7/12/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> That is, to help people progress from newbie, to intermediate, to
> expert, and thus ensure the culture is maintained (avoiding `Eternal
> September'). This graphic[1] sums the main issue up nicely, in my view:
>
>     http://headrush.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/buildingausercommunity.jpg

I consider myself an intermediate-going-to-advanced Haskeller. I mean,
I can go on with my own legs most of time, even if that means to read
a couple of times some good papers on the subject, so I don't need to
ask lots of questions on the list. OTOH, I also rarely feel confident
to give some answer that I know. Mostly because I only *feel* that I
know -- however I'm not certain of that -- and sometimes because I
think that I can't give the complete answer -- so I leave it to
someone else.

So from now on I'll try to answer more times. But, anyway, that's a
big problem. I'm not the only one on this situation. And probably
there'll always be someone. Dons' tips are really nice (i.e.
necessary), but I wonder if they are sufficient.

Felipe.