[Haskell-cafe] Type system madness

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Wed Jul 11 17:15:09 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin wrote:
> When I tell the editor to save UTF-8, it inserts some weird "BOM"
> character at the start of the file - and thus, any attempt at
> programatically processing that file instantly fails. :-(

I know Windows Notepad puts a BOM at the beginning of UTF-8 files.
http://www.vex.net/~trebla/w.htm is written out by Notepad and has the
beginning BOM. Firefox and IE display it just fine. Windows Notepad,
GNOME gedit, Emacs, Vim, and Eclipse are also very graceful about it. If
you rename it to w.lhs, GHC reads it as a fine Haskell source file, as I
sneaked in a little Haskell hello-world as an HTML comment, e.g.,
"runghc w.lhs" does wonder. So much for BOM foiling any processing.

Any more FUD to debunk? Wanna hear something about purely functional
languages incapacitated for I/O? Static typing leading to excessive type
declarations? Automatic garbage collection irrelevant to the real world?