[Haskell-cafe] Is Excel the most used -- and fucntional -- programming lanuage on Earth?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 16:58:38 EST 2007

Hi Alexy,

> Heard that statement recently -- that Excel is a functional
> programming language, and the most used one -- of any programming
> languages -- on Earth!  Is it true?  Are there good examples of
> typical FP style in Excel?

You can't define functions in Excel, hence its not really a functional
language. I'd go as far as saying its an expression-based programming
language, but that's it. It also has mutable state (if you use
circular references) so its not pure.

That said, the quote almost certainly comes from this paper (in the
title): http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/Papers/excel/index.htm

Thanks

Neil