[Haskell-cafe] A "real" Haskell Cookbook

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 17:09:18 EST 2007

On 23/02/07, P. R. Stanley <prstanley at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> As a tip for anyone involved in writing and publishing scientific
> materials on the web, unless the maths is either written without any
> funny symbols or, better still, typeset in latex, it is not
> accessible to a screen-reader.

I was under the impression that modern screen readers could pronounce
Unicode characters by looking up their name. I.e., your &#160; would
get read as 'Non-breaking space' (perhaps a bad example, this one
wouldn't want to be read out due to its abuse as a layout tool, which
would make reading old pages very awkward).

I don't see how images are going to be much better? I suppose <math>
images do, on MediaWiki, have an alt text which is their LaTeX, but
I'd hate to have to have that read to me.

If you're interested in talking to the authors of the wikibook,
subscribe to the wikibook at haskell.org mailing list.

-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com