[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Cristian Baboi cristian.baboi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:43:47 EST 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:32:05 +0200, Jules Bean <jules at jellybean.co.uk>
wrote:

> Cristian Baboi wrote:
>> Let me ask you 3 simple questions.
>> Can one use Haskell to make dynamically linked libraries (DLL on
>> Windows, so on Linux) ?
>
> The short answer is yes.

> The long answer is that this is not a feature of haskell, but rather a
> feature of certain programs, which happen to be mostly but not entirely
> written in haskell, in particular, the haskell compiler. GHC can produce
> dynamically linked libraries.

What you choose not to notice is the context in which I asked these
questions.
The context is: Haskell functions as first-class objects.
What I am interested in the first place is dynamically linked libraries
written in Haskell and used in Haskell.
The interface with other languages like C come second.

>>  If yes, what is in them ?

> Object code, mostly. Sometimes a little data.

What is the definition of an entry point in Haskell ?
What is the semantics of those entry points ?