[Haskell-cafe] Re: OOP'er with (hopefully) trivial questions.....

Nicholls, Mark Nicholls.Mark at mtvne.com
Mon Dec 17 08:18:11 EST 2007

Not really with this...

The open case (as in OO) seems to be more like the Haskell class
construct, i.e. if new types declare themselves to be members of a class
then they must satisfy certain constaints....I can then specify "equals"
with the class and leave the onus on the implementor to implement
it....the data construct seems more analogous to a OO class
definition...which is closed in the same way.

The approach is deliberate...but I accept may be harder than it needs to
be...I'm interested in Haskell because of the alleged power/formality of
it's type system against the relatively weakness of OO ones...the irony
at the moment is that they do not really seem to correspond
directly....and OO type system seems to (loosely) correlate to Haskell
type class system, and an OO class system (loosely) to Haskels type
system, though in OOP's they are unpleasantly tangled.