[Haskell-cafe] #haskell works

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:05:50 EST 2007

On 12/14/07, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Well anyway, a few years ago we didn't have fusion,

This is not true. Shortcut deforestation (fusion) has been in GHC for
at least fourteen years:
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/gill93short.html

It's true that we didn't have stream fusion a few years ago.

> and we didn't have ByteString.

(true.)

[snip]
> All I know is that once again, it seems Haskell isn't as fast as I thought...
> *sigh*

No, what you know is that *one particular implementation* of Haskell
isn't as fast as you thought.

[snip]
> A few years ago, the program would have taken 0.35 seconds.
> The end.

I would be careful about making this statement if I were you. Did you
actually try running the same code in GHC 5.0? It's not as if GHC
didn't implement *any* optimizations in 2003 (you said above that
"0.35 seconds" was the result you got with -O0.)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * catamorphism.org * Often in error, never in doubt
"Now, don't bother to flame me, because by the time you read this post