[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 12 06:19:33 EST 2007

Emre Sahin wrote:
> Why don't you let Haskell speak for itself?
>
> Instead of putting such buzzwords nobody really understands (and
> cares), put random problem descriptions and one-line solutions in
> Haskell. Well known problems like Fibonacci, Quicksort, etc. may be
> good candidates, even "add 1 to all elements of an Integer list" may
> be.

...and normal programmers care about the Fibonacci numbers because...?

Seriously, there are many, many programmers who don't even know what
Fibonacci numbers *are*. And even I can't think of a useful purpose for
them. (Unless you count Fibonacci codes?)

Quicksort is a well-used example, but several closely related sorting
algorithms turn out to be fairly wordy in Haskell. It just so happens
that [a very simple] quicksort is quite short.

I guess the question we've got to ask [hmm, we are repeating aren't we?]
is who we're trying to attract.

Yeah, we should probably set up a seperate list for this stuff...