[Haskell-cafe] IO is a bad example for Monads

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Tue Dec 11 02:05:18 EST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Dan Piponi wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 11:00 AM, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>
>> Does Haskell need quick&dirty hackers?
>
> The question isn't "Does Haskell need quick&dirty hackers?" It's
> "would we get better software (using your favourite metric) if we put
> Haskell into the hands of quick and dirty hackers?". I think the
> answer might be yes.

You are so right - at least, to the extent that Haskell has any
potential
to exert a positive influence on anyone in that category.  A lot of
these
wretched hackers are people who cared more about some end than
the means to it, and have accordingly accomplished things that are
now important ... and need to be maintained.  To the despair of all
concerned.

I think you'll get a better Haskell, too.  Don't let it turn into some
weird Gnostic cult where pneumatics liberate themselves from the
tainted bonds of earth by feasting on air and sunlight only.

	Donn Cave