[Haskell-cafe] flip dot

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Sep 28 02:57:44 EDT 2006

On Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:33 AM, Greg Fitzgerald  wrote:

> Since there's talk of removal of the composition operator in
> Haskell-prime,
> how about this:
>
> Instead of:
> foo = f . g
>
> you write:
> foo = .g.f
>
> A leading dot would mean, "apply all unnamed parameters
> to the function on the right".  A trailing dot would mean,
>"apply the result of the left to the function on the right".

Hi -

I think the H' proposal
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/CompositionAsDot is an
extremely bad idea. I really don't see why people have so many problems with
the idea of just placing spaces before and after the dot when used as an
operator, and in any case it's hard to think of a more important operator in
a functional language than composition and a more fitting symbol for it than
the simple dot.

Also, the syntax ".x" with no spaces between the '.' and the 'x' is needed
for at least one record poposal (eg
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-August/017466.html)

Regards, Brian.