[Haskell-cafe] Re: Read a single char

Dimitri Timofeev dimitri.timofeev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:57:20 EDT 2006

On 10/25/06, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > How can I input EOF symbol in WinHugs?
>
> No possible way. If you could type the NUL character that might
> possibly work, but even then 1) you can't, 2) it might not.
>
> Do you have a particular need for typing the "end of getContents" in
> WinHugs? If so, I can open a bug and might be able to fix it for the
> next release.

Thank you!

Surely I can get along without getContents in WinHugs: last time I thought
about
it I just wanted to show getContents function to my students (and using
hGetContents
on a file handle seems to be better example). Another function that
could be useful when teaching IO is 'interact', and it seems that it's also
impossible to use it without typing EOF (am I right?).

So it would be nice to have a way to type EOF in WinHugs, but surely it's a
feature one can live without.

And thank you for WinHugs, it is really useful!

--
Dimitri