[Haskell-cafe] List comparisons and permutation group code

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:18:39 EDT 2006

It's nice to have that pointed out; I'm always forgeting that there's
a representation optimization going on when using Ints/Integers for
naturals.

This Peano approach makes the length check no longer strict in the
spine of its input. xs is consumed lazily, [1..natLength xs] is
produced lazily, and thus isIdentity' works lazily. Of course
[1...natLength xs] would have to elaborate to some catamorphism on
Nat:

> data Nat = Succ Nat | Zero
>
> [1...nat] = cataPhi nat
>
> cataPhi Zero = []
> cataPhi (Succ n) = 1 : map (+1) (cataPhi n)

or a List-anamorphism with Nat's in the state-space

> data List a = Cons a | Nil -- pretending built-in [] works like this
>
> [1...nat] = ana psi (nat, 1)
>  where psi (Zero, _) = Nil
>            psi (Succ n, x) = Cons x (n, x+1)

Unfortunately Enum and Num are not granular enough to welcome Nat as
an instance, so the [1...Nat] syntax couldn't elaborate thusly today.
I'm sure I'm mentioning things (numeric type classes) here we've
already discussed... sorry if this is all old hat.

I think the cata/ana perspective may highlight the preservation of
laziness during composition issues. Composing particular
omega-morphisms has some theory--am I off in the woods to think it
might apply? It's a bit foggy still.

Thanks,
Nick