[Haskell-cafe] getting a DB library working with ghc 6.6 and PostgreSQL 7.4.7

Seth Gordon sethg at ropine.com
Mon Oct 16 23:49:19 EDT 2006

I'm looking for an alternative to HSQL for database connectivity -- the
lack of prepared statements in HSQL is particularly worrisome.

I installed HDBC, but when I tried running a simple program that used
it, I get the error message

ghc-6.6:
/usr/local/lib/HDBC-postgresql-1.0.1.0/ghc-6.6/HSHDBC-postgresql-1.0.1.0.o:
unknown symbol `PQserverVersion'

Looking more closely at the README.txt file there, it seems that the
PostgreSQL driver is expecting 8.1, and I'm using 7.4.7.

I installed the ODBC driver, and I know that in theory one can connect
to my PostgreSQL server with ODBC, but as far as I can tell from the
documentation, I would have to configure a separate DSN for every
database instance that I would want to connect to, which makes it kind
of useless for a utility that any user could pass database names to on
the command line.

The takusen package looks interesting, but when I checked it out and
tried to build it (with "ghc --make -o setup Setup.hs"), I got the error
message

Setup.hs:6:7:
     Could not find module `Distribution.Compat.FilePath':
       it is hidden (in package Cabal-1.1.6)

How do I work around these?  Is there another library worth looking into?