[Haskell-cafe] searching haskell.org

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Sun Oct 15 11:25:08 EDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 03:41:53PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> >> I noticed that searching on Haskell.org (using the Search feature at
> >> the bottom) doesn't work as I expected.  For example, searching for
> >> "memoise" produces no results.
> >
> >This is searching haskellwiki.
>
> Does anyone have the search logs for this page? If they were
> available, we might get a better idea of what people were searching
> for, and could then make the results more appropriate. For example,
> its entirely possible people are searching for functions (better
> prodivided by Hoogle search), wiki concepts (as currently searched
> for), haskell stuff (a google site search), or possibly something
> entirely different.
>
> My experience from Hoogle suggests that people don't use your search
> like you think they do!

Typing haskell.org takes you to a page which has a search box at the
bottom, so if the user doesn't look at the browser address bar (which
does display http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell, indicating that
you are inside the wiki), it is reasonable to suppose that the search
box will search the whole site.

I think it would be good to have multiple buttons, eg "Search
haskell.org" (includes next two), "Search HaskellWiki", "Search
mailing lists".

Tamas