[Haskell-cafe] Automatic fixity allocation for symbolic operators

J. Garrett Morris trevion at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 15:32:50 EDT 2006

On 10/14/06, Nicolas Frisby <nicolas.frisby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the editor could assume a default precedence when the
> user-defined precedence is not yet available. Preferably, the editor
> would also somehow yell at the user to indicate that it is making such
> an assumption.

Perhaps it could even assume the fixity that is specified in the
prelude for operators without fixity declarations, thus behaving
exactly like the compiler would:

"Any operator lacking a fixity declaration is assumed to be infixl 9" (4.4.2)

I agree that changing the language in such an unintuitive way -
breaking existing code in the process - to suit an editor is
counterproductive and ridiculous.

 /g