[Haskell-cafe] function result caching

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 14 14:26:51 EDT 2006

On Saturday 14 October 2006 13:13, Ketil Malde wrote:

> >> Not much different in principle, but better in practice - you could
> >> use an array rather than a list.  O(1) lookups should make things (a
> >> lot) faster.
> >
> > Well, this is true only if the range of the domain function is small and
> > fairly dense.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> > With 5000000 elements, you're looking at allocating about 20Mb of
> > memory
>
> On the other hand, the lists allocates the 20Mb of pointers, *and*
> another 20Mb of cons cells for the lists.

True, but only if you access deeply into the tail of the list.  If one access
only the first several hundred elements, say, then you'll only allocate the
space needed for those.

Of course, if you only want to access a small portion at the begining, then
why create such a big list in the first place?  Moral: lists will lose this
contest in almost all cases.

> > to hold pointers to closures_ and then allocating and filling out 5000000
> > closures, all before you get down to doing any real work!
>
> If I interpret you correctly, you want to make the array's contents
> strict?  Not a good idea when the domain is sparse, but on the other
> hand it would let you unbox the contents, which means you'd only need
> to store the actual values. For boolean values, I think GHC
> stores one bit per value, i.e. less than a MB for this range.

No, I didn't suggest that the elements be strict.  That would involve
precomputing the entire table.  You _could_ do that if you anticipate a LOT
of access to sufficient to outweigh the initial cost.  But that seems
unlikely for a sparse domain, as you mentioned.

However, even non-strict arrays are created all at once (ie, they are strict
in their _structure_), and the closures have to be allocated as the array is
being created.  Creating a closure isn't terribly expensive, but creating
5000000 closures might take awhile and cost a lot of memory if the closure
has a large number of free variables (which depends on the function
definition and the exact details of the lambda lifter).  Also, large arrays
tend to play havoc with GHC's garbage collector; it has to scan all elements
on every major GC, IIRC.  That alone may offset any advantages won.

In the end, the only way to be sure which method is best is to test it against
your usage profile.  My guess is that the array method will have enough
overhead that it will lose against a tree.  However I may be wrong,
especially if the program will have a very long runtime and if a "warm-up"
period is acceptable.

> > Little-endian patricia trees [...]
>
> Yes, sure, if you can't afford a 20Mb index.  On the other hand,
> changing the function to use an array is a very small modification,
> and probably more than good enough in many cases.

I completely agree; it is good for many cases, and can be a very useful
technique.  I just don't think it will be good for _this_ case (large, sparse
domain where f(n) doesn't depend on all f(m) where m < n).  That probability
is positively correlated with the size of the domain.  Again, the only way to
really know is to implement and benchmark.  Thankfully, caching techniques
are completely local and can be changed easily.

--
Rob Dockins

Talk softly and drive a Sherman tank.
Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
       -- TMBG