[Haskell-cafe] tail-recursing through an associative list

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Oct 12 13:27:47 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com> wrote:

> (it was easier to do that then to learn enough about Cabal
> to get HSQL recompiled with profiling),

Hmm...That should just require:
runghc Setup.hs configure -p

Doing that tells cabal to build both the normal library and profiling
enabled copy so that when you run:
runghc Setup.hs build
runghc Setup.hs install

Both versions (normal and profiled) should be installed side by side.

If that didn't work for you, maybe there is some other problem.  I
actually compiled HSQL from scratch + HSQL-MySQL just two days ago
without a problem using the above commands.  Perhaps you need to add a
line in the .cabal file to tell ghc which profiling options to use.
Something like:
ghc-prof-options: -caf-all

On a side note, cabal is fairly simple still (from a user point of
view), meaning it's easy to learn 80% of the functionality (or maybe I
mean learn how to do 80% of what you need).  I think what we lack (or
what the cabal userguide lacks) is a section on concrete examples
taking you from cabalizing a HelloWorld project on up through the work
needed to do fancy cross platform stuff.  I know there are some
examples, but something isn't quite right yet to make it accessible
enough for beginners.  And I'm not sure what, I just have some fuzzy
ideas on what might make it better :)  For me once I got comfortable
with cabal I found that darcs + cabal makes a mean team.  You can
quickly pull together different libraries and get some serious hacking
done.  Much praise to both.  I can't wait till cabal-install/hackage
is mainstream.

HTH,
Jason