[Haskell-cafe] [off-topic / administrative] List Reply-to

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi
Wed Oct 11 15:23:58 EDT 2006

Robert Dockins wrote:
> I think (pure
> speculation) the haskell.org mail server is set up to omit people from
> mail it sends if they appear in the To: or Cc: of the original mail.

Yes, this is a feature of recent Mailmans.

> Finally, I agree that reply-to munging is a bad idea, but I don't think
> appealing to a definition of 'reasonable mailer' that doesn't match a
> large portion of mail clients currently in the wild is a good way to
> argue the point.

Gnus might have been the first one to have it, but mutt (very popular in
hackerdom) was perhaps the one that popularized it.  I am currently
using Mozilla Thunderbird, for which it is available as an extension
(unfortunately, it also requires a patch for Thunderbird; but Debian sid
has already applied it).

Still, when choosing between a poor hack (Reply-To munging) and the
right answer (fixing mailers to support reply-to-list), I know which I
prefer.  The former may be appropriate in mailing lists where the
audience consists solely of non-geeks (who might not be able to choose a
good mailer), but in technical lists, I see no need for it. If you
prefer a mail client that does not support the feature, bug your vendor
to add it.