[Haskell-cafe] a monad for secret information

Brandon Moore brandonm at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Oct 10 12:47:23 EDT 2006

Seth Gordon wrote:
> I finally (think I) understand monads well enough to make one up:
> Is it even possible to have a type like this that still observes the
> monad rules?  Is this the sort of thing that I need to understand
> arrows to pull off?

I think the monads people have given you will work. I even think the monadic
formulation helps, in allowing you to calculate derived data while
keeping the
results classified as well. If you want some fancier information flow
policies
(falling back to arrows), check out "Encoding Information Flow in Haskell":
/www.cis.upenn.edu/~stevez/papers/LZ06a.pdf/
(by Steve Zdancewic and Peng Li, also authors of
"A Language-based Approach to Unifying Events and Threads
<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/%7Estevez/papers/LZ06b.pdf>")

Brandon