[Haskell-cafe] Bizarre garbage collection behaviour

Guillaume Theoret smokinn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 02:14:45 EDT 2006

I'm using Hugs98 for .NET and I'm running into some bizarre garbage
collection issues. I hope I'm posting at the right spot. I didn't want
to post this in Hugs bugs since I'm pretty new to Haskell and it's
entirely possible I'm doing something a way I shouldn't.

Back to the problem at hand.

My script (link available at the bottom of this email) fetches a
webpage through the .NET Net library and processes it.

If I output the result of this processing (a list with the player's
name, goals, assists and points) to the screen with putStrLn I can
process about two dozen before I hit a .NET runtime exception (which
is a different issue entirely).

If I don't ouput the result to the screen (I delete 2 lines that only
do putStrLn, Ln 148 & Ln 161) I get "ERROR - Garbage collection fails
to reclaim sufficient space" after 2 players processed which seems
completely counter-intuitive to me.

Does someone have an idea as to what's going on here?

The script (and its dependencies) are available here:
http://smokinn.tengun.net/comp348/week6/

Thanks,
Guillaume Theoret