[Haskell-cafe] Win32 GUI bindings

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 04:10:54 EDT 2006

Hi Jason,

As far as I am aware, the Win32 bindings are not that well maintained
currently, and programming against the Win32 API is quite painful
since it is a very low level, and very C like API.

Gtk2Hs does require additional dependancies, but seems to be the most
actively developed version. When a friend of mine was doing GUI
development work in Haskell he found that having all the Gtk2Hs
maintainers on the haskell IRC channel meant he could get advice and
fixes really really easily.

As for the additional dependancies, which Gtk2Hs definately does have,
there are plenty of "exe packers" which will take an executable and
all its dependancies and bundle them into a single .exe. I guess using
this any option would pass 1.

As for 2, I found wxWindows to be more native feeling that Gtk2Hs, but
Gtk2Hs is reasonably close so its not the end of the world.

Thanks

Neil