[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] page renaming on the Haskell Wiki

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Wed Feb 22 12:06:08 EST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2006 13:00 schrieb bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com:
> [...]

> for example, i think that all libraries should be under Library or Libraries
> root and so on. we started with filling up the pages, now we had enough
> contents to see what the structure will serve better

Be careful.  A title is not a path name.

I think, using hierarchy is good in cases like "GHC/Documentation" since the
page is strictly about documentation *for GHC*.  So it is clear what the
ancestor page should be (GHC).  The non-hierarchical title "GHC
documentation" would contain the "GHC" anyway and the hierarchical title has
more structure.

But "Libraries/Edison" seems not like a good idea to me.  The more structure
you add, the higher is the probability that your structure will not fit
future needs.  If we want to minimize the reasons for page renamings in the
future, we should tend to use "flat names", i.e., names with little or no
hierarchical information.  If we develop software, we also don't know the
right design right from the start.  (And therefore we need something better
than CVS since CVS doesn't support moving of files and directories. ;-) )

Best wishes,
Wolfgang