[Haskell-cafe] pros and cons of static typing and side effects ?

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 10:34:44 EDT 2005

Martin Vlk wrote:

>On pondělí 29 srpna 2005 8:57, Ketil Malde wrote:
>

>>>It contains descriptions of lots of real-world problems and how
>>>

>>They are only implementing TRUTH and CWB, no?
>>

>Yes, and lots of real-world situations that they faced during the development.
>That's what I meant.
>

>>I would like to see more discussion of what is "impoverished" about
>>the environments, and what they consider "mainstream programming
>>languages".  Certainly the authors could have discussed this in the
>>main part of the paper?
>>

>Please read section 5 in the paper.
>

>>I'm not sure the authors are even aware or the existence of
>>interactive environments (e.g. Hugs and GHCi are not mentioned, only
>>Haskell *compilers*).
>>

>I am very sure they are aware of them. Interactive interpreters are simply not
>enough of a tool for commercial development - more sophisticated tools are
>necessary. In Haskell we don't even have basic things like code structure
>visualisation, efficient browsing and fully language-aware editor with typing
>support etc.
>This is one of the ways of distinguishing the mainstream languages. Mainstream
>means that enough people use them for someone to put in the effort to build
>the tools.

I have used IDEs (Borlands delphi, MS VisualC++), and I prefer working
with 'vi' and multiple
shell windows. vi has such a quick startup time that you can swap
between files easily, and it does
syntax highlighting of many languages including Haskell. Some of the
languages mentioned (Python)
also have no real IDE, so that kind of undermines the point. I have
written commerical code in many
languages (including Haskell) and I work the same way for all of them.
The closest anyone in my company
comes to an IDE is python programming in Zope...

As for debugging I have yet to find a situation that a debugger handles
better than a couple of carefully
places output statements. If you want to inspect the values of variables
in a loop thats going wrong, just
output them, and redirect the program output to a file... you can then
run the program and inspect the
resulting dataset to daignose the problem.

    Regards,
    Keean.