[Haskell-cafe] Re: "getServiceEntry: does not exist" on Windows

Sigbjorn Finne sof at galois.com
Fri Oct 21 10:26:51 EDT 2005

I don't really have the time, but here's some debugging
code that'll maybe help diagnosing why/if WinSock is failing
to start up:

- compile the attached initws.c via ghc,

     foo$ ghc -c initws.c

- run some tests

     foo$ ghc -package net IWS.hs initws.o -e "initWS 1 1 >>= print"
     foo$ ghc -package net IWS.hs initws.o -e "initWS 2 2 >>= print"
     foo$ ghc -package net IWS.hs initws.o -e "initWS 1 1 >>
Network.BSD.getProtocolByName \"tcp\" >>= print"
     foo$ ghc -package net IWS.hs initws.o -e "initWS 2 2 >>
Network.BSD.getProtocolByName \"tcp\" >>= print"

initWS returns 0 on success.

The GHC networking support is ultra-conservative wrt WinSock versioning,
sticking with 1.1 for max portability. Perhaps that's working against us
here?

Needless to say, this is working for me (on a pair of XP boxes.)

--sigbjorn