[Haskell-cafe] Re: library documentation

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Sat Jan 29 12:42:12 EST 2005

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:

> Isaac Jones writes:
>
>  > http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/LibraryDocsNeedingHelp
>
> This is a great idea.
>
> I have been thinking .... you know what would make
> contribution to the library efforts even simpler? If they
> were available in a Darcs repository.

I can certainly understand Simon's wish to stay away from a split
repository, one for GHC, one for libraries.

What I'm doing for the cabal is keeping the _darcs directory in the
same place as the CVS directory, and keeping them in sync by hand.
This isn't too painful, if it were, I think there are some tools out
there for this.

Someone else suggested that someone maintain a darcs repository for
the libraries and pull in documentatin changes, and then sync it all
at once.  I think that's a bad idea, because merging is never very
easy, and is error prone.

What might be good is if someone with CVS access would keep a darcs
mirror of all of fptools (or just the libraries), and keep the darcs
side automatically in sync w/ the CVS side (there are some tools for
this).  Then people could send darcs patches to this poor soul who
would be sure to review them before committing them to CVS.  I doubt
that there would be too much traffic to handle, and if there were,
then we could possibly put different people in charge of different
components.  Eventually, of course, everyone will realize that life
would be simpler if we got rid of CVS altogether, and darcs will be
mature enough to handle GHC, and we'll switch :)

> Saying "darcs push" after you've spontaneously added a
                ^---- Probably "darcs send" if we're talking about
                      letting the masses add documentation.

peace,

  isaac