[Haskell-cafe] Re: I/O interface

Ben Rudiak-Gould Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 20:27:26 EST 2005

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
 >Ben Rudiak-Gould <Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
 >>fileRead can be implemented in terms of OS primitives,
 >
 >Only if they already support reading from a fixed offset (like pread).
 >I'm not sure if we can rely on something like this being always
 >available, or whether it should be emulated using lseek which is safe
 >only as long as we are the only process using the given open file.

First of all, I don't think any OS shares file pointers between
processes. Otherwise it would be practically impossible to safely use an
inherited filehandle via any API. Different threads using the same
filehandle do share a file pointer (which is a major nuisance in my
experience, because of the lack of an atomic seek-read/write), but a
Posix fork duplicates the file pointer along with all other state. I
can't believe I'm wrong about this, but someone please correct me if I am.

This limits the problem to a single process. If you're only using GHC's
lightweight threads, there's no problem at all. If you're using OS
threads, the worst thing that could happen is that you might have to
protect handle access with a critical section. I don't think this would
lead to a noticeable performance hit when combined with the other
overhead of file read/write operations (or lazy evaluation for that matter).

 >pread requires that the file is seekable, which means that it can't
 >be used for all file handles: not for pipes, sockets, terminals nor
 >various other devices.

The file interface in this library is only used for files, which are
always seekable (by definition). If you want to treat a file as a
stream, you create an InputStream or OutputStream backed by the file.
Such streams maintain internal (per-stream) file pointers.

 >Not if it must cooperate with other processes, and you *do* want to
 >set a file position before running another program with redirected
 >standard I/O. In this case it's not enough that you set a private
 >Haskell variable holding its logical file position - you must perform
 >the lseek syscall.

If you're using Posix fork/exec, you can use Posix lseek without losing
portability. If you're using a higher-level Haskell library to spawn the
program, it will be Stream-aware (if it supports redirection at all) and
will know how to set the system file pointer when necessary.

 >Doing something differently than everybody else has a risk of limited
 >interoperability, even if the new way is "better", and thus must be
 >carefully evaluated to check whether all lost functionality is
 >unimportant enough to lose.

Very true. (But hardly a new problem for Haskell.)

-- Ben