[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Speed

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Dec 23 14:14:46 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm taking a look at the "Computer Language Shootout Benchmarks".

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

It looks like Haskell doesn't do very well. It seems to be near the
bottom of the pile in most tests. Is this due to the inherent design of
Haskell or is it merely the fact that GHC is young and hasn't had as
much time to optimize as other compilers?

For example, another very slow language is Ruby. In Ruby's case, there
is a design factor that will always make it slow. I wonder if Haskell is
in a smilar situation.

Yes yes, I know that a high level language trades CPU time by programmer
time. I'm still interested in the CPU time question though :)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://oooauthors.org