[Haskell-cafe] Re: Seeking reference(s) relating to FP performance

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Sep 29 15:00:18 EDT 2004

On 2004-09-29, Graham Klyne <gk at ninebynine.org> wrote:
> I've taken it as an article of faith that performance of FP language
> implementations has been improving quite steadily over the past few
> years.  I'd like to assert this, but I can't find any clear evidence to

One place to start is the Language Shootout at
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/.  While it is a benchmark, and
therefore subject to all sorts of standard disclaimers about rigged
benchmarks, some interesting conclusions can be seen:

1. OCaml often performs better than g++

2. OCaml sometimes even beats gcc.

3. ghc doesn't seem to do very well in terms of performance, though it
does at least beat out Java in many cases.

4. ghc has some of the most concise programs out there

There's not a lot of information there on historical trends, but the
fact that a mostly-functional language like OCaml can beat out c++ is
fairly impressive.

-- John

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming