[Haskell-cafe] no dynamic binding

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Sep 21 07:26:41 EDT 2004

I think others have provided the immediate answers to your question, so
I'll skip that.

But, standing back, you seem to have fallen prey to a misunderstanding I
made when learning Haskell, thinking that a "class" is directly analogous
to a class in OO languages.  While there are similarities, the Haskell
notion of a class is much more restrictive, as you have found.

I wrote a few more notes here:
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/Learning-Haskell-Notes.html#type-class-misuse

#g