[Haskell-cafe] Re: OCaml list sees abysmal Language Shootout results

Fergus Henderson fjh-mailbox-18 at galois.com
Fri Oct 8 21:08:36 EDT 2004

On 08-Oct-2004, Andre Pang <ozone at algorithm.com.au> wrote:
> I believe that Marcin wishes to prove the same point that I want to:
> namely, Clean encourages use of strictness by making it easier to use
> (via language annotations).  At the risk of sounding ignorant and
> arrogant, I think the Haskell community in general does not understand
> the importance of syntactic sugar to make such tasks easier.

I think the Haskell community understands well the importance of syntactic
sugar; witness the use of syntactic sugar for monads, the `infix` operator
syntax, the layout rules, etc.

I think the Haskell community has just been a bit slower in understanding
the importance of strictness :)  But that seems to be gradually changing.

--
Fergus J. Henderson                 |  "I have always known that the pursuit
Galois Connections, Inc.            |  of excellence is a lethal habit"