[Haskell-cafe] Parsec question

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com
Fri Nov 19 09:56:38 EST 2004

I've also used Parsec for separated lexer + parser and currently have
something like this to invoke them:

testParse inputString = do
  case (parse myLexer "" inputString) of
    Left err -> fail ("lexical error: " ++ err)
    Right tokens ->
      case (parse myParser "" tokens) of
        Left err -> fail ("parse error: " ++ err)
        Right result -> return result

... or was this the "manual startup" that you were referring to? The above
seems clunky to me, so I'd also welcome suggestions for piping the lexer
output into the parser.

What do you mean by "makes position calculations very complex"? Are you
talking about reporting the position of lexical or parse errors? (If so,
Parsec supports this quite well.)

Alistair.

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this
message, and any attachments, may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. It is intended solely for the
person(s) or entity to which it is addressed. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received
material from any computer.