[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: About Random Integer without IO

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Fri Nov 12 03:21:30 EST 2004

At 00:10 12/11/04 +0100, karczma wrote:
>But it was MUCH more important to repeat the same
>sequence, e.g., after making fast some nice fractal sketch, I relaunched
>the program with bigger size/precision, but exploiting the same random
>sequence. I repeat, such is my philosophy.

I agree.  I've used similar randomization techniques for software testing,
having similar requirements for repeatability.  (E.g., finding a seed that
generates an error after several million iterations, with a specific
iteration number, and then re-running the test to enable tracing at exactly
the required iteration number.)

#g