[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: Global Variables and IO initializers

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 8 14:43:26 EST 2004

Just to add a small point... you can see how the 'bad' single context
design affects the code that uses it. Because C allows global variables
it is possible to write libraries that require once-and-only-once
initialisation.
In Haskell (without global variables) it is impossible (or at least
extreemly
hard) to write such librarys. Haskell libraries tend to allow multiple
concurrent independent threads of access. Allowing global vars into
Haskell would make it easy for coders moving to Haskell from C to carry
on coding in a bad style. It seems correcting the problem outside of
Haskell and in C is the right approach - as it does not involve making
these 'bad' things easier to do in Haskell.

Keean.