[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: Global Variables and IO initializers

Keith Wansbrough Keith.Wansbrough at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 8 10:57:51 EST 2004

[posted to haskell-cafe per SLPJ's request]

Hi Adrian,

> I can assure you that for the intended applications of oneShot it
> is vital that realInit is executed once at most, but the user must
[..]
> So please, no more handwaving arguments about this kind of thing
> being unnecessary, bad programming style, or whatever..
>
> Please show me a concrete alternative in real Haskell code, other

I'm mystified as to why you are insisting others provide real examples when you are not.  Can you give one concrete example of an "intended application of oneShot", so that we can either propose a concrete Haskell implementation of it, or agree that global variables really are necessary.

Hoping to increase the light / heat ratio in this discussion...

Cheers,

--KW 8-)