[Haskell-cafe] Re: Processing of large files

Greg Buchholz haskell at sleepingsquirrel.org
Mon Nov 1 15:34:26 EST 2004

Peter Simons wrote:

> Read and process the file in blocks:
>
>   http://cryp.to/blockio/docs/tutorial.html

    On a related note, I've found the collection of papers below to be
helpful in understanding different methods of handling files in Haskell.

    http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/Computation.html#enumerator-stream

    "Now that cursors and enumerators are inter-convertible, an
implementor of a collection has a choice: which of the two interfaces to
implement natively? We argue that he should offer the enumerator
interface as the native one. The paper elaborates that enumerators are
superior: in efficiency; in ease of programming; in more predictable
resource utilization and avoidance of resource leaks. We present a
design of the overall optimal collection traversal interface, which is
based on a left-fold-like combinator with premature termination."

Greg Buchholz