[Haskell-cafe] Why no IO transformer monad?

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Sun Dec 19 22:14:24 EST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Henning Sato von Rosen wrote:

> But, I am working on understanding IO magic, on a much more concrete
> level, so I am am looking for a really good explanation of the above.
> (And the IO monad in general.)

One way of looking at it is that a monad is an interpreter that has access
to a haskell interpreter (typically called by return). You can't write an
IO interpreter in terms of anything else, so you can't layer it on top of
something - it's got to be on the bottom of the stack.

flippa at flippac.org

A problem that's all in your head is still a problem.
Brain damage is but one form of mind damage.