[Haskell-cafe] FFI woes!

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 16 11:08:13 EST 2004

Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:56:15 -0500, Robert Dockins
> <robdockins at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

>>Return the high level value to the user; when the enclosed
>>ForeignPtr is garbage collected deRefWeak on the weak pointer will
>>return Nothing.  Then the clean-up thread can begin polling the song
>>object to see if it is finished.
>

> But if the ForeignPtr has been garbage collected, it's too late! The
> sound data is *gone* and the channel can no longer play the sound.

If you look closely at the code I posted, I do something tricky; I form
a ForeignPtr (without a finalizer) from a Ptr, and then _keep them
both_.  So, when the ForeignPtr is GCed, I still have the original
pointer.  I detect the fact that the ForeignPtr is GCed by using a weak
pointer.  Because of the way I set up my code, I know that when the
ForeignPtr is gone, my clean-up thread is the only place that I have a
pointer to the original C object.  So then I start polling the sound
object to see if it is done playing, and only then free the C object.

> -- play a sample
> samplePlay :: SoundSample -> IO SamplePlayback
> samplePlay sample = do ch <- withForeignPtr sample (fsound_PlaySound (-1))
> 		       let spb = SP ch sample -- SamplePlaybackRaw
>                        mkWeakPtr spb (Just (samplePlaybackFinalizer spb))

Ahh... look.  You are returning a weak pointer!  Those specifically
allow the referenced object to be garbage collected.  So the only
references left to your SamplePlaybackRaw are (a) inside a weak pointer
and (b) inside a finalizer closure.  Such references are NOT considered
reachable from the root set, and can thus be GCed (I am about 90% sure
this is true about finalizers).  You have arranged it so that the RTS
can garbage collect spb, and thus the ch and sample, whenever it likes.